Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Cake Decorating Classes





I finally managed to complete the last of my cake decorating classes, the Gum Paste & Fondant Course, last September. Finding the time to take the last course was rather tricky; but, now that they are all done, I have been able to add the tips and tricks picked up from the instructor to my cake-making arsenal.

The Wilton Method of Cake Decorating provides a solid basis for anyone interested in learning the basics. Although not always my preferred style of decorating, it was a good chance for me to brush up on my skills. If given the choice, I will always opt for a made-from-scratch cake with real buttercream icing (Italian Meringue Buttercream being a favourite). The Wilton buttercream calls for vegetable shortening - something that I just do not wish to consume - although I do agree that it will create an icing more likely to hold its shape and withstand extremely warm conditions.

No comments: