Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Trifle



Time seems to flash by quicker these days. The years appear to meld into one big blur; yet, we must endure and try to seek purpose in things.

After indulging in too many rich sweets recently, I decided that a lighter, fruitier treat would be in order for tonight's dessert. Not made exactly as the original recipe, this is my take on the Anglo-Italian Trifle.

Nigella Lawson is the queen of trifles, and, indisputably, the Anglo-Italian Trifle is one of her most stellar. Having to make it a non-alcoholic trifle, I substituted a simple lemon syrup for the soaking liquid. Although Mascarpone would have been delightful to use, the price tag was rather steep; so, cream cheese was used in its stead, and performed admirably!

I have also made a raspberry version that was also very delicious and refreshing. That time, I splurged on the Mascarpone which leant a distinctly tart nuance to the trifle.

No comments: